Eating a healthy, balanced diet and keeping active are important factors in maintaining good health and wellbeing across all ages.
What is a healthy diet?
A healthy, balanced diet involves eating a wide variety of nutritious food and drink in the right proportions to achieve and maintain a healthy body weight. It is recommended that men have around 2,500 calories a day and women around 2,000 calories a day. A poor diet is linked to poor health and illness such as Type 2 Diabetes, Cancer and Stroke to name a few.
Where can you get help and advice?
If you are concerned about weight, https://www.more-life.co.uk/what-we-do/our-services/in-your-area/bedford/ provides FREE adult and child weight management services for individuals and families who live in Milton Keynes and meet the eligibility criteria. Their sessions cover a range of topics including healthy eating, physical activity and body image to help support sustainable change in a fun and friendly environment.
- Change4Life is designed for families with young children in mind. It features healthy eating tips, quick and easy family recipes, fun activities for kids and lots more!
- ONEYOU provides tips on how you can eat better, loose weight and keep active. There are a downloadable apps such as the ‘easy meals’ and the ‘couch to 5k’ to name but a few!
- NHS Eat Well provides information on how to eat healthily, exercise and understand what your weight means.
- Start4life for pregnant women, dads-to-be and new parents and their babies
- Healthy Start for those on benefits who are pregnant or have children under the age of four.